Easy and yummy and perfect on pancakes...it's Mixed Berry Compote time!
What you'll need:
2 pints of strawberries
1 pint of blueberries
1/3 cup of water
2 tablespoons of raw sugar
1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
Splash of Beaujolais wine (optional)
1. Rough chop the strawberries and combine them, in a pot, with the water and sugar. Cook on a moderately high heat until the water becomes syrupy (7 - 10 minutes)
2. Add the blueberries and the wine (if desired), let cook down for another 7 - 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and finish with the lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Taste. If it's not sweet enough for you, consider adding a little more sugar. I like to keep my compote on the slightly tart side, especially since the berries have so much natural sweetness.
5. Serve with pancakes, waffles, ice cream or yogurt!
If you enjoy this, check out my recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Compote in the Spring! Happy Pancake Tuesday!